Former NFL wide receiver Antonio Brown has been extradited to Miami to face an attempted murder charge related to a shooting that occurred outside a celebrity boxing event in May, according to authorities.
Miami Police officials confirmed Thursday that the 37-year-old Brown was extradited from Dubai to Miami. The U.S. Marshals Service reported that Brown arrived earlier that day through Newark, New Jersey, before being booked into Essex County Jail.
“He was kind of taunting us, saying, 'I'm safe here,' and that's what we interpreted from those videos, but you know what, he was laughing then, we're getting the last laugh,” Miami Police spokesperson Officer Michael Vega said.
“No matter who you are, what power or money you have, if you commit a crime in the city of Miami, we're going to identify and locate you and bring you to justice.”
While evading authorities, Brown reportedly shared videos from Dubai, prompting police to believe he was mocking the investigation.
A warrant was issued in June for Brown on a charge of attempted murder with a firearm connected to the May 16 shooting near Northeast 2nd Avenue and 67th Street. An off-duty officer providing event security told investigators he heard gunfire and later saw Brown in a physical altercation in the parking lot.
Authorities confirmed that charges stemmed from evidence gathered at the scene and witness testimonies. Brown remains in custody pending extradition procedures and court hearings in Miami.
Author’s Summary: Antonio Brown faces extradition to Miami over an alleged attempted murder outside a boxing event, with police vowing equal justice for all.